Re: [gob-list] license

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db_at_zigo.dhs.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:57:03 +0200 (CEST)

On 14 Apr 2002, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Isn't it such that the outputted C code, from GOB, is NOT considered
> source code (in terms of the GPL)... since it is NOT the
> "preferred format" used to modify the "work".

Part of the output is source code that comes from gob2, then that source
code is still GPL. I don't know what happens when this is combined with
other source. I wouldn't assume that gob can be used for non-GPL programs.

> > flex & bison have a special case for their generated files.
>
> Hmmm... I wouldn't think it was needed.

In the case of bison there is a whole lot of code that is the table
driven parser included into every outputed parser. You typically find this
in /usr/lib/bison.simple on a unix system. This file says:

> As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a Bison
> output file, you may use that output file without restriction. This
> special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation in version
> 1.24 of Bison.

I don't know much about these things, but it might be a good idea to
include a similar thing in gob för the outputed files.

--
/Dennis